Whether you appreciate winter or favor the warmer months in Dresden, most of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a large impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Check weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your space warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at night, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter routinely to see if it must be changed. We recommend at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home remains warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can set temperatures to be lower when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to reduce the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs to have checkups, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also catch small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If it seems like your monthly heating costs are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. The team at McFadden Heating & Cooling can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are putting toward your energy costs, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also supports the health of your equipment, which means your heating system will have a longer life.
If you are considering routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide more tips on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give McFadden Heating & Cooling in Dresden a call to begin. Contact our team at 1-866-781-0111 or arrange an appointment with us online.