Generally, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Dependent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, if you have pets, and how often your air filter has been changed, to name a handful—you may require air duct cleaning
more or less regularly. So, how can you find out for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are definitely some telltale signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a blockage within your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers carrying out dust?
- When you gaze inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
- Can you hear clatter other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have a smaller amount of airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask McFadden Heating & Cooling in Dresden about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a few things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and extend the period of time between professional cleanings.
Above all, schedule regular HVAC maintenance with the professionals at McFadden Heating & Cooling. A maintenance check of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should comprise of inspection, and possible replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating efficiently, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also chat with the team at McFadden Heating & Cooling about installing an air purification system. We provide the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other measures you can take include:
- Frequently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Checking your air filters regularly and changing them when the manufacturer recommends exchanging them. Most filters will present dust on them after a brief stint in service, but they may not demand changing.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that let dust to enter from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or broken air-duct insulation.
With a specialized air duct cleaning and some proactive measures, you can help keep the air in your Dresden home clean and healthy. Give the pros at McFadden Heating & Cooling a call at 1-866-781-0111.